Please watch the video fully. Then consider what is written below it.
Mr. Simolaris claims he got calls on this because no one seems to be doing anything to resolve this problem which has been ongoing for over four years old. In fact, if you go to the Beautifying Billerica website on Facebook, you will see where they mentioned this particular sign along with many other blighted areas in town that have gone into neglect.
So, why has this problem and others like it been allowed to linger so long. Let me see if I can explain what should be a relatively simple solution using very clearly written Billerica Town Zoning By-Laws (the governing document for these issues):
The above definition seems to perfectly describe the sign Selectman Simolaris is working with. Agreed?
- Don’t you think a Selectman who views this sign as a problem (and I agree that it is) would know that sign construction, inspection and maintenance comes under the purview of the Town Building Inspector?
- Don’t you think a Selectman who view this sign as a problem and understands (as we all know George now knows) that he can’t get involved in the day to day operation of the town would know to go to the Town Manager and ask if he could put discussing an inspection and follow up action with the Town Building Inspector who works under the Town Manager on his “to do” list?
- Should sufficient time pass without proper action by the Town Manager or the Town Building Inspector, don’t you think a qualified and competent Selectman would know that he has a right to put this issue on the Board of Selectman agenda for a public discussion to force a proper resolution?
- With respect to the sign itself, I would imagine that the building or business owner would have to carry insurance to cover liability and damage to his property, including his signs, in the event of a natural or man-made disaster.
- Don’t you think a Selectman who views this as a serious issue would ask the manager to determine if an insurance claim was filed and if so, why were any fund paid not used to repair the sign. If no or insufficient insurance was purchased, then, is that in conformance with what the town considers an appropriate business practice for licensing?
- If one reads the by-law on maintenance, it makes no mention of a business or property owner being insured or not; it clearly states that if more than 10% is damaged, it must be repaired – unambiguous. Don’t you think a competent Selectman would know this requirement after four years in office?
So, my question is this: with such clear solution prescribed by law, why is Selectman Simolaris out “doing a friend a favor” and complaining about the lack of care by others in government as he makes a video of his endeavor?
Does he truly care about the appearance of this sign? Or, is it more likely that he is once again grandstanding trying to create issues to make himself look like the hero and use it to belittle the State Representative he is trying to unseat?
Has Mr. Simolaris asked the Town Manager to contact our State Representative or contacted Representative Lombardo himself to request assistance in getting the Commonwealth to dispatch a crew or issue funds to clean up and repair the damaged State property?
Has the Commonwealth even been made aware of this damage by our local officials and if so, how did the ball get dropped?
So, what do you think? I think Mr. Simolaris has no clue as to how to govern, how to use process, policy and procedural by-laws for problem abatement and resolution. I think based on this clearly described missive that Mr. Simolaris is doing the town of Billerica a disservice by holding onto his seat as he is also clearly incompetent not only in getting things done, but in building relationships that are not just helpful, but essential to the forward progress and success of Billerica and her future – OUR future.
By the way…in fairness; how about asking our other four Selectman why they have allowed this problem to fester and if they’ve ever read the Beautiful Billerica Facebook page."More Evidence That Selectman Simolaris Hasn't a Clue on How to Solve Problems Properly",